On 7/18/05, Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Jul 2005 10:05:22 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> > > PORTAGE_TMPDIR determines where portage uses for temporary storage.
> >
> > I set this in make.conf, correct?
>
> Correct
>
> > Seems logical but man emerge and man
> > portage don't seem to mention this variable.
>
> man make.conf mentions it, as does /etc/make.conf.example

Great. Thanks. Looks like I'll have to give it a try. Even turning on
userlocales it still failed on to build for device space:

dragonfly glibc-2.3.5 # emerge -pv glibc

Calculating dependencies ...done!
[ebuild   R   ] sys-libs/glibc-2.3.5  -build -debug -erandom -hardened
(-multilib) +nls +nptl +nptlonly -pic (-selinux) +userlocales* 0 kB

Total size of downloads: 0 kB
dragonfly glibc-2.3.5 #

dragonfly ~ # cat /etc/locales.build
# This file names the list of locales to be built when glibc is installed.
# /usr/share/i18n/locales directory, and <charmap> is name of one of the files
# in /usr/share/i18n/charmaps/. All blank lines and lines starting with # are
# ignored. Here is an example:
# en_US/ISO-8859-1

en_US/ISO-8859-1
en_US.UTF-8/UTF-8

dragonfly ~ #

Looks like that wasn't enough space reduction.

I don't think every machine of mine has it's own /var partition so
probably there was always enough space under /. I created /var on this
machine since it's a MythTV server which has saved me because when
MythTV storage runs out MythTV fills the log file with millions of the
same message.

Another solution I tried and which did work was to create a directory
on my root partition and do a mount --bind while doing the glibc
emerge. The emerge finished cleanly and then I dismounted the temp
storage to get back to normal.

Multiple solutions I think.

Thanks,
Mark