Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Ok, you're right, it really does burn cds.
Well googling produces lots of complaints about trouble. But
it looks mostly like old windows stuff...

> So, you're still not able to burn them? Try erasing an RW or writting
> an RW (so you don't spent cds). You should be able to do that with
> k3b, unless you already have mounted the cd (the erase and burn
> operations don't need the drive mounted) but I suppose that would echo
> an error.

I'm using a brand new rw cd. I tried copying 2 .wav files to the cd.
Here's the messages echoed to the K3b screen:
 Using cdrecored 2.1
  Starting dao writing at 24x speed...
Medium  or burner do not support writing at 24x speed
Switching down burn speed to 4x
Starting in 2 seconds
Starting in 1 second
Writing canceled. <by James after 40 minutes>
Removing buffer files
Unlocking drive...
Could not unlock CD drive.

> You don't need anything special on your kernel to burn cds. At least I
> have nothing special on mine. K3b does it all for me.

OK, Maybe my use parameters are missing something?

emerge -Nvp k3b  <reveals>
ebuild   R   ] app-cdr/k3b-0.11.24  +arts -debug +dvdr +encode +flac +kde
-kdeenablefinal +mad +oggvorbis -xinerama 0 kB

ideas?

James