On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 01:07:38PM -0400, John J. Foster wrote:
> Good afternoon all,
>
> A few weeks ago I read in one of the newgroups a way to greatly decrease
> compilation times. The author noted that this was particularly noticable
> when working with something like OO. The general jist of it was to
> create temporary file system in memory and mount your portage tmpdir
> there. For the life of me, I can't find that thread anymore. Does anyone
> do something similar to this? Are there noticable gains to be had. I
> have an Athlon 2800XP and 1 GB ram.
>
> Thanks,
> John

OK, this happens all the time. I search, can't find what I want, post a
question, search again, and there it is. This is not the "thread" I was
talking about, but it was right in front of me on the Gentoo Wiki.
http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_Speeding_up_portage_with_tmpfs

Does anyone have any "tips" on these "tips"?

John

--
Contrary to the lie machine, the world is not safer.