OK well it looks like I have been neglecting my admin duties

I am going to proceed with removing the alsa-driver and then go from
there, Holly thx for the workaround but I do not feel confident in me
;)
I will trust the powers that be and make portage happy, my theory
being that portage manages a safe secure stable system and why should
I choose to break it.
Anyway, on further investigation ie. a revdeprebuild and a emerge p
--depclean [as suggested] it seems I have a fair few problems. Lots of
nasty red messages saying eek!!
[mmm I digress it seems, must return to topic]
so revdep is complaining at firefox, probably due to my changing from
compiled to bin and the depclean would like to remove 134 packages!!

On further reading I think that adding -gnome to /etc/make.conf was
hasty [I use xfce but still enjoy a few gnome packages]
I will have to do some investigating.

On the plus side my daily emerge world has just completed as I was
writing this so that is good and sound appears to work though I have
not yet rebooted <--loathed to do it, reminds me of days on the dark
side.

well thx people, I will be back should all go horribly wrong :)

stu

On 7/18/05, Holly Bostick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Stuart Howard schreef:
> > thx for the response
> >
> > I think we missed each other with the point though, currently my sound
> > works just fine and I am happy with it as it is [ie. built in] I am
> > not sure where the alsa driver in "world" came from unless it is a
> > hangover from my initial genkernel instalation.
>
> Well, there is a compromise solution:
>
> /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
>
> I don't have a clue what I tried to install that wanted alsa-driver, but
> I added
>
> media-sound/alsa-driver-1.0.6a (don't actually have to have a version,
> afaik, you can just put the package name)
>
> to the above-mentioned file, and it never bothered me again.
>
> Basically, you're telling Portage that you've "handled" this-- the
> package is installed,  just not *by* Portage, so it should just trust
> you. And of course you have installed the package-- when you compiled
> the kernel, so it's not even like you're lying or anything.
>
> The upside of this should be that you can uninstall the alsa-driver
> package (if it is installed), or do an emerge (-p) --depclean to get rid
> of it, or remove it from your world file, and no program that depends on
> it should be disturbed (because you've informed Portage that the
> equivalent data is available, and Portage trusts you :-) )-- and no
> package that wants to depend on it in the future should try to install it.
>
> HTH,
> Holly
> --

"There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand
binary, those who don't"

--Unknown