It seems lately (within the past few months), I am seeing a lot more of
these:

!!! Digest verification Failed:
!!!    /usr/portage/distfiles/foo-1.2.3.tar.gz
!!! Reason: Failed on MD5 verification

The problem (aside from the obvious) is that portage just shits the bed and
doesn't try to re-get the file (which would solve the problem more often
than not). Even if I manually "rm /usr/portage/distfiles/foo*" and emerge it
again, it's a crap-shoot if it will pass the Digest verification. Sometimes
I've tried as many as five or more times this obnoxious cycle and finally
said fsck it and just manually emerged the OTHER packages, hoping that in a
week or so, there will be a newer version of whatever the offending package
was and we can try this all over again with fingers crossed.

I would use --skipfirst, but that doesn't work with "emerge -Davu world"...
*sigh*.

Anyone know why the digests are failing so frequently? Are they packaged
poorly? Is it the mirror I'm getting them from? But then that begs the
question, aren't the mirrors synchronized and MD5 verified with each other?
Shouldn't TCP/IP be safe in that it retries a packet until it gets it -- and
therefore, why is the MD5 different?