I used the steps on the Gentoo docs.  They also link to some udev site.

Essentially
1.  Set up kernel not to autostart devfs (when everything is okay you can
remove devfs from the kernel)
2.  emerge udev
3.  I modified /etc/conf.d/rc (I think it was) to have a devfs and a udev
version.  The udev version did not use the tarball and had another variable set.
4. Save the devfs rc and then copy the udev rc to rc
5. Reboot.

For me it worked.