On Thu, 2005-07-21 at 11:14 -0500, LostSon wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-07-20 at 07:11 +0200, Richard Fish wrote:
> > LostSon wrote:

> > > Yes the files exist and the permissions are right where i should be
> > >able to use them. and the /dev/fb0 and /dev/fb/0 i have no idea wtf they
> > >are.
> > >

> > /dev/fb/0 (symlinked from /dev/fb0) are the device nodes for accessing
> > the framebuffer device.  During services startup (i.e, the part that
> > happens after after the root filesystem is mounted and the kernel starts
> > init) these nodes are created automatically when udevstart is run by
> > /sbin/rc.  This only happens if a usable framebuffer driver is compiled
> > into your kernel (not as a module!) and the driver found a usable
> > graphics card.
> >
> > Could you post your dmesg output right after booting.  I want to make
> > sure that the framebuffer device is being found at boot time.  You
> > should be seeing messages like this:
> >

> > radeonfb: Retreived PLL infos from BIOS
> > radeonfb: Reference=27.00 MHz (RefDiv=6) Memory=344.00 Mhz,
> > System=236.00 MHz
> > radeonfb: PLL min 20000 max 35000
> > Non-DDC laptop panel detected
> > radeonfb: Monitor 1 type LCD found
> > radeonfb: Monitor 2 type no found
> > radeonfb: panel ID string: 1600x1200
> > radeonfb: detected LVDS panel size from BIOS: 1600x1200
> > radeondb: BIOS provided dividers will be used
> > radeonfb: Dynamic Clock Power Management enabled
> > Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 200x75
> > fbsplash: console 0 using theme 'emergence'
> > fbsplash: switched splash state to 'on' on console 0
> > radeonfb (0000:01:00.0): ATI Radeon NP
> >
> > I think yours should say something about vesafb-tng.
> >
> > -Richard
> >
>   My dmesg output shows nothing like that at all im digging around for
> the /dev/fb0 and /dev/fb/0 but dont have either of these either. I must
> of screwed something up pretty damn bad.

 Ok i switched to vesafb-tng and now im getting some dmesg like this

 vesafb: NVIDIA Corporation, NV36 Board - p190-3n , Chip Rev    (OEM:
NVIDIA)
vesafb: VBE version: 3.0
vesafb: protected mode interface info at c000:e510
vesafb: pmi: set display start = c00ce546, set palette = c00ce5b0
vesafb: pmi: ports = 3b4 3b5 3ba 3c0 3c1 3c4 3c5 3c6 3c7 3c8 3c9 3cc 3ce
3cf 3d0 3d1 3d2 3d3 3d4 3d5 3da
vesafb: hardware supports DDC2 transfers
vesafb: monitor limits: vf = 160 Hz, hf = 85 kHz, clk = 190 MHz
vesafb: scrolling: redraw
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 80x30
fbsplash: console 0 using theme 'emergence'
vesafb: framebuffer at 0xd0000000, mapped to 0xf8880000, using 600k,
total 131072k
fb0: VESA VGA frame buffer device

 but still no image getting closer though maybe yet today
--
LostSon

http://www.lostsonsvault.org

Fox Cities Linux User Group = www.foxlug.org