In linux.gentoo.user, you wrote:

GentooPenguin# /usr/sbin/lspci | grep Radeon

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RC410 [Radeon
Xpress 200M]

> drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
> drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
> drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
> drmOpenDevice: Open failed
> drmOpenByBusid: Searching for BusID pci:0000:01:05.0
> drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card0
> drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
> drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
> drmOpenDevice: Open failed
> drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns -19
> drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card1
> drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
> drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
> drmOpenDevice: Open failed
> drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns -19
> drmOpenDevice: node name is /dev/dri/card2
> drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
> drmOpenDevice: open result is -1, (No such device)
> drmOpenDevice: Open failed
> drmOpenByBusid: drmOpenMinor returns -19
> (etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc)
> (EE) RADEON(0): [dri] RADEONDRIGetVersion failed to open the DRM
> [dri] Disabling DRI.
>

> Well the directory /dev/dri/ is empty, so there you go.

Hmmm... Mine has an entry for card0:

GentooPenguin# ls -l /dev/dri

crw-rw---- 1 root video 226, 0 2010-04-08 17:42 card0

Are you sure your opengl libraries are being found in /usr/lib/opengl?

I used to run the ATI proprietary driver and switched to the open Radeon
driver and remember some fiddling was required in this directory,
possibly a symlink pointing in the wrong direction.

What does the command "eselect opengl list" show you?

Mine tells me that the xorg-x11 driver is being used.

> I have these package versions:
>
> xorg-server 1.7.6
> mesa 7.8
> libdrm 2.4.19
> xf86-video-ati 6.12.192
> xorg-drivers 1.7

I'm running:

xorg-server     1.6.5-r1
mesa            7.5.2
libdrm          2.4.15
xf86-video-ati  6.12.5
xorg-drivers    1.6

> I have drm set in my kernel too:
>
> t...@o_0 ~ $ zgrep DRM /proc/config.gz
> CONFIG_DRM=m
> CONFIG_DRM_KMS_HELPER=m
> CONFIG_DRM_TTM=m
> # CONFIG_DRM_TDFX is not set
> # CONFIG_DRM_R128 is not set
> CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=m
> CONFIG_DRM_RADEON_KMS=y
> # CONFIG_DRM_I810 is not set
> # CONFIG_DRM_I830 is not set
> # CONFIG_DRM_I915 is not set
> # CONFIG_DRM_MGA is not set
> # CONFIG_DRM_SIS is not set
> # CONFIG_DRM_VIA is not set
> # CONFIG_DRM_SAVAGE is not set
> # CONFIG_DRM_VMWGFX is not set
> # CONFIG_DRM_NOUVEAU is not set
> # CONFIG_DRM_I2C_CH7006 is not set

GentooPenguin$ zgrep DRM /proc/config.gz

CONFIG_DRM=m
# CONFIG_DRM_TDFX is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_R128 is not set
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=m
# CONFIG_DRM_I810 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_I830 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_I915 is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_MGA is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_SIS is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_VIA is not set
# CONFIG_DRM_SAVAGE is not set

> and this dmesg output appears to indicate that its working ok:
>
> [   53.428828] [drm] Initialized drm 1.1.0 20060810
> [   53.642115] [drm] radeon defaulting to kernel modesetting.
> [   53.642122] [drm] radeon kernel modesetting enabled.
>
> But glxgears only gets about 19 fps. Here is what glxinfo | grep OpenGL
> reports:

I get:

1438 frames in 5.0 seconds = 287.483 FPS

Not really screaming along, but adequate for my needs.

> Section "Module"
>       Load  "record"
>       Load  "extmod"
>       Load  "dri"
>       Load  "glx"
>       Load  "GLcore"
>       Load  "dri2"
>       Load  "dbe"
> EndSection

My xorg.conf shows:

Section "Module"
        Load  "extmod"
        Load  "dri"
        Load  "dbe"
        Load  "record"
        Load  "xtrap"
        Load  "glx"
EndSection

> Section "Device"
>         ### Available Driver options are:-
>         ### [arg]: arg optional
>         #Option     "ShadowFB"                # [<bool>]
>         #Option     "DefaultRefresh"          # [<bool>]
>         #Option     "ModeSetClearScreen"      # [<bool>]
>       Identifier  "Card0"
>       Driver      "radeon"
>       VendorName  "ATI Technologies Inc"
>       BoardName   "RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200M]"
>       BusID       "PCI:1:5:0"
>       Option          "MergedFB"      "true"
>       Option          "CRT2Position"  "LeftOf"
>       Option          "ColorTiling"   "true"
>       Option          "EnablePageFlip"        "true"
>       #Option         "AccelMethod"   "EXA"
>       #Option         "AccelDFS"              "true"
> EndSection

My Device Section:

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "ATI Graphics Adapter 0"
        Driver  "radeon"
        Option  "AccelMethod"   "EXA"
        BusID       "PCI:1:5:0"
EndSection

> If anyone has any idea, please let me know. Would posting to the xorg
> or radeon mailing lists be good places for help as well?

I hope this helps.

--
Regards,

Gregory.