On Wed, 2010-04-14 at 11:57 +0800, Xi Shen wrote:
> hi,
>
> i followed the instructions on
> http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/KVM_with_VDE to configure my system.
> the kvm and tun modules loaded fine. but when i run "vde_switch
> --numports 4 --hub --mod 777 --group users --tap tap0", it will not
> return until i press ctrl+d, and after that, the tap0 interface is not
> created. there's no error messages.

I read this document, and it seems to be doing basically what you get
with libvirt, except libvirt does all that for you (but uses brctl
instead of vde (I'm not sure what the differences are)).

Anyway it seems like libvirt may be another alternative for you.  It
takes care of the bridging/dnsmasq/masquerading stuff for you and also
has some nice management features (and a gui).

-a