On 04/18/10 22:21, meino.cra...@gmx.de wrote:

> Hi,
>
> currently I am reading the Gentoo-Handbokk about installing a
> new Gentoo-System via boot-CD.
>
> If I have a running Gentoo-Sytem on my PC...would it be
> possible to install a new Gentoo-System on a fresh harddisk,
> which is currently unpartitioned and unformatted electrically
> wired with my PC (SATAII) ?

Yes, you should be able to, installing Gentoo is basically just copying
a bunch of files to a partition in a harddisk, nothing magical.

However, you will have to be able to compile a compatible kernel from
your PC. Compatible usually means either your PC have the same
architecture as your laptop (which means everything should be already
setup) or you have to cross-compile the kernel.

I've never done kernel cross-compiling, but it's definitely possible,
you just need to modify modify some of the Makefile manually (search on
google for a howto).

Also, I'm not sure whether a bootloader installation needs to mess with
the BIOS. I *think* it shouldn't, as the low-level booting process
between the box and the harddisk is controlled by BIOS from MBR and
grub/lilo is just installing onto the MBR.