On Sun, Apr 18, 2010 at 12:52:26PM -0400, Tanstaafl wrote:
> On 2010-04-18 12:29 PM, YoYo siska wrote:
>
> >> Dang - I already started the emerge...
>
> > You can still break the emerge (for example with ctrl-c) when it
> > starts to emerge gcc, the continue the emerge process with emerge
> > --resume --skipfirst
>
> To clarify - I can do this with the currently running emerge (that did
> not specify --keep-going)?
>
> So, when it gets to gcc (its on package # 181 of 355 now, hasn't hit
> either of the gcc's or glibc yet), hit ctrl-c, then:
>
> emerge --resume --skipfirst
>
> ? Do I need to add the -ev world in there? Or does emerge just know
> where to pick up all by itself?

yes, it knows what the last emerge was, so you just say --resume
but if you do another emerge in between, it will forget the previous
interrupted one

--resume just "resumes" the last interrupted (or failed) emerge , starting with
the package that was interrupted,
so that you can fix the problem if it was a compilation failure, and then
continue... no need to give
any special args to the first emerge.

--skipfirst makes it skip the first  package - the one that was interrupted
handy when the emerge fails on a packages that isn't a depency of something
other, you can just skip it then,
very much like  a "manual"  --keep-going ;)

> This is good info to have.
>
> Also - is it ok to do this during the actual compile? Or do I need to
> catch it before the actual compiling starts?

you can break it whenever you want.. --resume than starts the package
again from beginning so you  just "waste" the time/work it allready did...
which does not really matter if you are going to do  --skipfirst ;)

yoyo