Phylip,

First of all, I currently do have a functioning xorg server; but not sure if it
is working as well as it should, based on the reported errors. Does anyone know
what are the libXxf86dga libXxf86vm libraries as compared to the "proto"
variety"? They seem to be the offending packages pulled in by kde-base.

The way I read the error messages, to emerge the xorg-server, the above
packages need to be gone and the "proto" variety packages will be than emerged.

Someone at Gentoo put in a block between the 2 package varieties, so working
around this seems to be wrong. Why aren't the xorg and kde packages
communicating?

Dan