On Mon, May 03, 2010 at 04:56:04PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > I don't understand what you mean by booting to a single user
> > maintenance mode.  How do I do that?
>
> At the grub menu, select the kernel you wish to boot.
> Press "e"
> Move cursor to the "kernel" line
> Press "e"
> Move cursor to the end of the line. Append " 1" or " single"

Uh, I thought that, per discussions a few weeks ago, we've concluded
that in Gentoo that will still land you in the default runlevel.
Instead you should append
  softlevel=single
to the end of the line, and continue from hereon.

> Press <enter>
> Press "b"

Cheers,

Willie W. Wong                                     ww...@math.princeton.edu