On Mon, 3 May 2010 13:44:50 +0000, Colleen Beamer wrote:

> I can't disable my xdm login script.  My computer boots to the login
> screen and the keyboard doesn't work so I can'l login to get a
> terminal session.

At the GRUB menu, add "gentoo=nox" to the kernel options, using the
method explained by Alan. The advantage of this method is that it gives
you a fully working system, running everything in your default runlevel
except xdm. When you have made the changes and want to test
them, /etc/init.d/xdm restart fires up X with no need to reboot.

Note for the pedants: The xdm init script is run, but it checks for the
nox flag and exits without starting X, that's why to need to restart it
to run X.