On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 08:47:49AM -0500, Dale wrote:
> Helmut Jarausch wrote:

> >> Have you tried using `lpr` at the command line?
> >>
> >> I *believe* something like `lpr /path/to/file.pdf` should work.
> >>

> > Thanks, but lpr is just a front-end for cups.
> >

> I tried that here and got a error.  It may be a bad setting on my end
> but it didn't like the idea.
>
> r...@smoker ~ # lpr /data/pdf/LivingWill.pdf
> lpr: Unsupported format 'application/pdf'!
> r...@smoker ~ #

I started noticing this today too.  My Macs aren't able to successfully
print, I just get an error in the error log about application/pdf being
an unsupported format.

If I take a PDF generated on the Mac and move it to my Linux system and
run "lpr <filename>.pdf" I get:
lpr: Unsupported format 'application/pdf'!

If I use "pdftops" to generate a PS file, "lpr <filename>.ps" works
fine.  If I open the PDF in xpdf and print, telling it to use the
command "lpr," that also works fine.

I upgraded from cups 1.3.10 to 1.3.11 today (cannot go back).  I've
rebuilt all the foomatic packages I had installed, gutenprint, cups-pdf,
ghostscript-gpl, but still it doesn't work...

--
-M

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
        Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.