walt writes:

> On 05/15/2010 04:01 PM, Dale wrote:
> > Just for reference, this is my USE flags:
> >
> > USE="X avahi dbus gnutls java jpeg ldap pam perl png ppds python ssl
> > tiff zeroconf -acl -kerberos -php -samba -slp -static -xinetd"
>
> Good grief, Dale, you're almost stark nekkid!  Where are all the rest
> of your useflags?

That was my first impression also, but those are only the USE flags for
cups. Mine are a little different, but I have another cups version (Dale
does not even seem have a usb USE flag):

USE="X acl dbus java jpeg ldap linguas_de pam perl php png python samba
slp ssl tiff usb -debug -gnutls -kerberos -static -xinetd)

> Alex:  when I plug in my HP USB printer, I see this in dmesg:
>
> usb 2-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 2
> usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=03f0, idProduct=1617
> usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
> usb 2-2: Product: hp LaserJet 3015
> usb 2-2: Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
> usb 2-2: SerialNumber: 00CNBM369103
> usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 2 if 0 alt 1 proto 2 vid 0x03F0
> pid 0x1617 usbcore: registered new interface driver usblp
>
> Do you see somethinhg different?

Less verbose, but similar:
usb 1-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 3
usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 3 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x04A9 pid
0x10A5
usbcore: registered new interface driver usblp

There is a message in syslog that is being repeated hundreds of times:
May 15 22:25:55 [kernel] usb 1-2: usbfs: interface 0 claimed by usblp
while 'usb' sets config #1
                - Last output repeated 58 times -

        Wonko