On Sunday 16 May 2010 18:18:09 Kevin O'Gorman wrote:
> On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Kevin O'Gorman <kogor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> go

> >> That's right, you will also then need to install the appropriate x86
> >> driver;
> >> e.g. x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
> >
> > You mean like this, the way it's always been?  Or is there something more
> > specific I have to do?
> > treat src # eix x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
> > [I] x11-drivers/xf86-input-mouse
> >      Available versions:  1.5.0{tbz2} {debug}
> >      Installed versions:  1.5.0{tbz2}(09:38:05 PM 05/11/2010)(-debug)
> >      Homepage:            http://xorg.freedesktop.org/
> >
> > treat src #
> >
> > BTW, the most recent boot started X without the mouse working, but these
> > two lines appear in /var/log/Xorg.0.log
> >
> > line 44-47: (==) |-->Input Device "evdev"
> >             (==) |-->Input Device "<default keyboard>"
> >             (==) The core pointer device wasn't specified explicitly in
> > the layout.
> >                     Using the first mouse device.
> >

> > line 457:   (==) MACH64(0): Silken mouse enabled
> >
> > (MACH64 is my video card)
> > (My mouse is a Microsoft optical with a USB cord that I use with a PS/2
> > adapter and a KVM switch, which works with Live disks. I have no idea
> > what Silken is)
> >

> > These are the only lines with the word "mouse" in them.
>
> Oh, and one more thing showed up last night.  I reemerged udev, and noticed
> that the ebuild printed a message to the effect that if it doesn't work, I
> should try emerging hal first.  Leaving aside the non-effective language, I
> tried that and although hal is installed, I can  no longer build it.  This
> may turn out to be the most important thing. It turns out I can't compile
> the latest wireshark either.  Maybe something is hosed deep down.  It may
>  be time to go down the "emptytree" road again, but it took 2 weeks last
>  time, and was a major PITA.

I don't know if you have been following the "libpng12 is missing" thread, but
for good measure you may want to try lafilefixer --justfixit and revdep-
rebuild -p -v -i a number of times first.  On two machines of mine (x86) there
was no problem.  On another (amd64) I had to go through the pain of emerge -e
world.
--
Regards,
Mick