On Wed, 05 May 2010 23:20:01 +0200, Matt Harrison wrote about Re:
[gentoo-user] samba vs. cifs:

>On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 06:42:09PM +0200, KH wrote:
[snip]
>> specific (don't want to hear "moo"): Will I be able to mount a samba
>> partition without setting the samba use flag and after unmerging
>> samba?
>>
>> Regards
>> kh
>
>I just enable cifs in the kernel and install the mount-cifs script.
>That lets me mount remote shares with no trouble at all.

I don't even install the mount-cifs script.  I simply put the share
definition in /etc/fstab on the client, and then use the vanilla mount
command.  E.g.,

//192.168.0.2/backups    /usr/local/remote_backups    cifs
noauto,noexec,noatime,nodiratime,user=root,pass=eetoot          0 0

[The above should be on 1 line.]

Note that my real password for root is not "eetoot"; that is simply a
fake password I set up for Samba shares.

Whenever I need to transfer a backup archive to the server, I simply
issue:
   mount /usr/local/remote_backups
and then copy the data across.
--
Regards,

Dave  [RLU #314465]
dwn...@... (David W Noon)

Hi,

just want to answer to that old mail.

I have it done as follows:

//way/2/otherpc /mnt/mountpoint cifs noatime,credentials=/root/.credentials,uid=1000,umask=000,user 0 0

and the file /.credentials can only be read by root. In there is my password and username:

username=myusername
password=mypswd

Regards
kh