Patrick Börjesson schreef:

>>>Documentation bug? Not recommended by the docs any more?
>>>You might want to actually try to find information about the subjects
>>>you respond to.
>>>
>>>Straight out of the AMD64 Gentoo Handbook:
>>>"AMD64 users who want to use a native 64 bit system should use
>>>-march=k8"
>>>Combining that cite with the information from the gcc info page, I'm
>>>pretty sure it's not a "documentation bug".
>>>

>>Hold on...the -march thing would be an easy mistake to make for those of
>>us who don't run AMD processors, and are just trying to help.  Afterall,
>>the platform keyword  is "amd64".  And gcc info says that k8, opteron,
>>athlon64, and athlon-fx are all equivalent, although I would suggest
>>that the non-k8 options are more descriptive.
>

> Of course, but in this case it wasn't an oversight... The poster
> explicitly said that using march=k8 seemed to no longer be the
> recommendation of the docs. That implies at least _some_ looking into
> the subject before posting...

If the poster being referred to is me, that wasn't what I meant to say,
or rather what I meant to be *understood*-- what I meant was that
apparently the Handbook recommends using the k8 flag, but people using
that flag seem (and I stress "seem", as I don't follow this issue that
closely, naturally) to be running into problems, whereas those using the
amd64 flag are not (or at least not the same problems).

Now, I don't know the truth of the matter, but that would lead me to
suspect that there could be *outdated information in the Gentoo
documentation* (thus, a "documentation bug"), which, if those affected
can verify, should perhaps be submitted.

Sorry for the confusion.

Holly