On 22 June 2010 02:14, Christopher Swift <christopher.sw...@linux.com> wrote:
> I've setup my Gentoo box to use en_GB as the default locale
> in /etc/env.d/02locale with tips from the Gentoo Localisation Guide[0].
> Is it at all possible to set a locale, i.e. cy_GB to be the primary LANG
> parameter but if there is no .po for cy_GB or the .po is incomplete to
> use en_GB as a backup instead of the default en_US?  So for example if
> gedit were fully translated into Welsh (cy_GB) I could use gedit in
> Welsh but emerge not being translated into Welsh would resort to en_GB
> instead of en_US?

I'm also interested in this - although my question is probably simpler:

I would like to use en_GB but I do not undestand why running 'locale'
as a plain user shows:

$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8

why when running it as root:

# locale
LANG=
LC_CTYPE="POSIX"
LC_NUMERIC="POSIX"
LC_TIME="POSIX"
LC_COLLATE="POSIX"
LC_MONETARY="POSIX"
LC_MESSAGES="POSIX"
LC_PAPER="POSIX"
LC_NAME="POSIX"
LC_ADDRESS="POSIX"
LC_TELEPHONE="POSIX"
LC_MEASUREMENT="POSIX"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="POSIX"
LC_ALL=

I do not have set a /etc/env.d/02locale yet, so where is my plain user
locale being read from?
--
Regards,
Mick