I don't know if this is the proper list to post this request to.  I've
been using linux for a dozen years, and am capable of reading and
following instructions.  But, after a lot of dicking around, I still
haven't been able to modify a CD boot image get Gentoo to boot from a
USB stick.  For my netbook (look ma, no CD) I ended up booting Knoppix
from a USB-stick, and installing Gentoo from there.

  There are quite a few machines without CD drives being sold today, but
none that I'm aware of that won't boot from a USB stick.  I believe that
USB-stick images, rather than CD images, should be the default
distributed boot images on the mirrors.  And think of all the CD's that
won't end up in the landfill, after an install image is used once.

--
Walter Dnes <waltd...@waltdnes.org>