Neil Bothwick wrote:
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 09:22:56 -0500, Dale wrote:

@world includes @system. But the problem is not that emerge world is
skipping it but that it wants to downgrade gcc:4.4.

   From my understanding, world includes @system but @world does not.  I
know here on my rig, I run emerge -uvDNa world and it updates
everything installed including deps and the system packages.  If I run
@world, it skips the system packages.  At least that is the last time I
tried it which was not to long ago.

One reason I remember this is because of the discussion I had with the
devs on -dev.  That is why @system is in /var/lib/portage/world_sets.
I noticed a few weeks ago that there are a couple others added to it as
well.  The devs did it that way so that when folks like me upgrade the
old fashioned way and just use world instead of @system and @world.

Has this changed?
No, the world_sets file still includes @system by default, which is why
@world includes @system.

The additions are from when you emerged sets, which adds then to
world_sets.

But if you removed, temporarily, the @system from the world sets, then you get just one. Did this a while back and it worked at the time. Not going to say it would work today tho. We all know how portage is. It is like shooting a bullet with another bullet. ;-)

As was pointed out to me many times, @system is not the same as system. Same can be said for world and @world.

Sorry so long to reply.

Dale

:-)  :-)