On Monday 05 July 2010 09:39:50 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 05:12:44 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
> > The point is that if you always start with a text login, it's easy to
> > log in and fix whatever keeps X/KDE from working.  That's why I gave
> > up on graphical logins about 15 years ago.
>
> You must have a lot of X problems to make it worth the hassle of the extra
> steps each you boot up. What's wrong with dropping back to a text login
> on the odd occasions that X or the DE fails to start?

And what about this security risk:

1. lock screen
2. go away somewhere
3. ivan the russian spammer walks by, presses ctrl-alt-f1
4. ivan the russian spammer presses ctrl-c
5. ivan the russian spammer is now *you*
6. god help you if you ran sudo in the last 5 minutes

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com