On Thursday 22 July 2010 11:13:23 Alex Schuster wrote:
> Nikos Chantziaras writes:
> > On 07/22/2010 12:56 PM, Andrea Momesso wrote:
> > > That's impossible, isn't it?
>
> I think so.
>
> > > Swithcing profile and reemerging everithing isn't gonna work? Even
> > > from a chroot?
> > >
> > > Should I reinstall a new stage from scratch? Adobe stopped providing
> > > flash for linux 64 bit, and I some of the sites I need to visit for
> > > work need it. Mantaining a chroot is not worth the effort, so I
> > > really want to switch.
> > >
> > > Thank you in advance.
> >
> > emerge www-plugins/nspluginwrapper and this will make 32bit Flash work
> > in 64bit browsers.
>
> But only when the multilib profile is active. I do not know why this is,
> and if there are _any_ hacks that might make this possible, but the Gentoo
> AMD64 FAQ [*] states:
>
>   Warning: Currently you cannot switch from a no-multilib to a multilib-
>   enabled profile, so think over your decision twice before you use the
>   no-multilib profile.

Yeah, nspluginwrapper won't work for me, since I have a full no-multilib
profile.

And yes, I had read the AMD64 FAQs before installing, and I've been happy with
no-multilib for quita a while.
I still have adobe flash 10.0.45.2-r2 installed, but I understand it has serius
security problems, and I had to mask all higher versions.

BTW, is anybody aware of the technical reason why the switch of profile is
impossible? Can it be workarounded?

---
TopperH
http://topperh.ath.cx