Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I have a USB SDHC card reader whose partition table is not read, and
> device node not created, when plugged into my Gentoo Linux computer.

Here's a good place to start:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_Digital

Also there is mini-SD and micro-SD:
http://www.diffen.com/difference/SD_Card_vs_SDHC

To make things really interesting, there are  several
"file systems" to choose from, relatively new to the
kernel, specifically for these sorts of devices. So grab
an embedded board and drop on over to the embedded gentoo
list, where the real fun begins......

The hacks that are really knowlegable on these puppies,
(solar, vapier, etc etc) hang out on gentoo embedded.

hth,
James

Also