li...@gabriel-striewe.de writes:

> I was wondering whether there is some way to find out the current
> running softlevel (which I gave to the kernel line in grub's
> menu.lst), for example to start another window manager depending on
> the softlevel or whatever other possible solutions? Maybe in a
> variable like $SOFTLEVEL ?

At least you can get the complete kernel line from /proc/cmdline.

If you like, put something like this into your .bashrc:

# get boot parameters:
SOFTLEVEL=$( < /proc/cmdline )
# strip from left all up to and including 'softlevel=':
SOFTLEVEL=${SOFTLEVEL##*softlevel=}
# strip from the right all from the first blank on:
SOFTLEVEL=${SOFTLEVEL%% *}           # strip all

Oh, or forget about all this, as I just see that there is the rc-status -r
command.

        Wonko