On Tue, 10 Aug 2010 18:53:12 +0200, Alex Schuster wrote:

> ebuild /path/to/category/package.ebuild unpack
>
> Read the man page, I'm not sure if things like fetching will be done
> when necessary.

It will, ebuild carries out any prior steps if they are needed. You may
want to use ebuild ... prepare instead of ebuild ... unpack. It carries
out any pre-compilation steps, like applying patches.

If you are doing this because you want to apply a patch yourself, you can
use one of the above, apply your patches, then run ebuild ... merge to
complete the process and install it. man 1 ebuild explains it all.

--
Neil Bothwick

What do you do when you see an endangered animal eating an endangered
plant?