On Friday 13 August 2010 14:15:59 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Friday 13 August 2010 16:04:53 Frank Schwidom wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > i get the error:
> >
> > {
> > !!! Multiple package instances within a single package slot have been
> > pulled
> > !!! into the dependency graph, resulting in a slot conflict:
> >
> > media-libs/libpng:0
> >
> >   ('ebuild', '/', 'media-libs/libpng-1.4.3', 'merge') pulled in by
> >
> >     >=media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r2:0 required by ('ebuild', '/',
> >     >'x11-libs/cairo-1.8.10', 'merge')
> >     >=media-libs/libpng-1.4 required by ('ebuild', '/',
> >     >'x11-libs/gtk+-2.20.1-r1', 'merge')
> >
> >     (and 27 more)
> >
> > }
> >
> > And i wonder that it seems not to be possible to install both libs
> > (libpng-1.2.43-r2:0, libpng-1.4) in the same time. Linux is actually
> > able to manage this by the lib-version and links.
>
> You have misread the portage output. It does not say it wants those
> versions.
>
> It says this:
>   >=media-libs/libpng-1.2.43-r2:0
>   >=media-libs/libpng-1.4
>
> Note the greater than or equal to.
>
> The limiting factor to multiple versions is not Linux, it is portage.
> Portage will not co-install two versions in the same SLOT.
>
> > Did i have overseen any gentoo switch that makes is possible? Or is
> > there any other option?
>
> This whole libpng mess was a right royal fuck up several months ago. I
> forget the specifics but IIRC a decent solution was
>
> emerge -C libpng
> emerge libpng
> revdep-rebuild
>
> The last step takes some time to complete, there is a lot of fall-out to
> deal with.
>
> As you are only hitting this now, I assume you have a stable system and are
> not using the masked versions of portage. @preserved-rebuild would save you
> lots of pain, but that feature is not available in stable versions of
> portage.
>
> For more info, check the archives. There is more mail there about this than
> you could ever possibly want to read.

I actually hit this myself yesterday.
When emerging "libpng", it mentions a script that needs to be run. I would
suggest running that script.

I think the following commands were the ones that led to a properly upgraded
system. It is now working for me, but it did take quite a while.
**
emerge -vauD --newuse world
lafilefixer --justfixit
/usr/sbin/libpng-1.4.x-update.sh
emerge -vauD --newuse world
revdep-rebuild -- -va
emerge -vauD --newuse world
**

Alternatively, you could always try to one that should always work:

emerge -vae world
(NOTE: This will rebuild _everything_)

Btw, if you are using KDE, you might, like me, also hit issues with akonadi
not starting (I couldn't not use it anymore)
Post on the list if you hit it, I still have these fresh in my mind :)

--
Joost