On 17 August 2010 19:49, Andy Wilkinson <drukar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the info.  That doesn't entirely answer my question, though...
> shouldn't chromium's bundled ffmpeg have h264 support?  Google's
> youtube.com/html5 page suggests that Chrome (and thus chromium?) supports
> h264.  Is this a licensing issue going to the open source build that I've
> not heard of yet?

Yes bundled ffmpeg should have h264 support but I think it as broken with
a patch for ubuntu.

Did you read the bug report on crbug? It is reported for 479 and marked
as *fixed* in the trunk as of Aug 9th.  I didnt read the release note of it
but
490 was released on 13th and is in portage since then. So..you can
either unmask it and give it a try or wait for the next release and keep an
eye on the release notes.