Thanks,

I'm not very savvy when it comes to working with the kernel beyond
using the normal stable cut gentoo provides. I'll research git-bisect
and see if I can't figure this out though.

I think you are correct though. It does seem to only happen while the system
is under heavy I/O.

I've never experienced anything like this in previous versions of the linux
kernel,
and resorting back to gentoo-sources-2.6.34 fixes the issue completely.

If there are I/O fixes upstream, then I am assuming you are referring to a
cut
that is more recent then gentoo-sources-2.6.35-r2 that the Gentoo devs have
yet to provide their patches to?  ( I see vanilla sources has 2.6.35 .3)

Thanks again,
Alan