On Sunday 22 August 2010 22:39:47 Alex Schuster wrote:
> Stroller writes:
> > The script with which you reply is missing the sleep 60 loop.
>
> No, it's only the script that outputs the drive's state. It's called by
> ~/.kde4/Autostart/hdstate:
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> while :
> do
>         /usr/local/sbin/hdstate >> ~/log/hdstate.log
>         sleep 10
> done
>
> > Running a script which contains `while true ... sleep 60` will cause
> > only a single logging action. You can run it as root at startup using /
> > etc/conf.d/local.start and have the file world readable.
>
> Yeah, local.start woudl also be a good idea, without the need to setuid
> things. Maybe I'll change this.
>
> BTW, my two additional drives spin up when I log into KDE. Weird, they are
> not even mounted.

From KDE-4.4.4 the start up interferes with the hard drives:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/232044

I don't why but it does, messes up any settings that hdparm may have set up
and p*sses me off.  o_O

As soon as KDE starts up (even when waking up from suspend to ram) it resets
the drives.  I haven't found a way of telling it how to behave (i.e. by
respecting existing settings in hdparm).
--
Regards,
Mick