On 8/24/2010 4:53 PM, tpar...@etherstorm.net wrote:
> I have a new (first) gentoo amd64 install, multilib, and have been
> searching the docs, forums and google for information on how to handle
> emerges for 32bit programs on the 64bit install.
>
> I have found some references to using -bin for 32bit programs (example:
> "emerge wine-bin" to get the 32bit version or "emerge wine" to get the
> 64 bit version) but I haven't been able to get that to work; emerge
> wine-bin returns:  'emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "wine-bin".'
> Searches didn't turn up examples or explanations to help me find what I
> am doing wrong.

Only a select number of packages in portage have binary editions that
are separate from the main source package.  Since you're building from
source, very few programs actually need to be 32-bit apps on a 64-bit
OS.  I count a total of 77 "*-bin" packages in the entire portage tree,
over half of which are closed-source games or Java applications.

Wine is a special case, since portage will happily build a 64-bit
version, but it's only mildly functional.  In this case, the Wine
package maintainer has set up the ebuild to build 32-bit by default,
even on an amd64 profile.  (If you specify USE=win64 you'll also get a
64-bit version of Wine but that's mostly for devs to play with.)  So you
should just be able to:

emerge wine

and let it go.

> I also found references to making a chroot environment to use when
> running the 32bit programs, but they all made it sound like a short step
> from a dualboot - that I would not be able to use anything in my 64bit
> environment while that was running. For example, having a 32bit program
> running in windowed mode through wine while I have 64 bit work programs
> running on the same desktop, or 32 bit firefox (for flash) with the rest
> of the system 64bit.

IMO setting up a 32-bit chroot should be a last resort.  An x86_64 CPU
and 64-bit OS should have no problem running 32-bit x86 binaries.  If
you need to run 32-bit applications that you cannot get built through
portage, there is a whole list of packages
(app-emulation/emul-linux-x86-*) that have prebuilt binaries for things
like GTK, QT, SDL, etc.  (The packages in portage, including Wine, will
install the ones it needs automatically.)

--Mike