I decided to give thunderbird (and its integrated calendar, lightning) a try
after having some troubles with kontact corrupting and deleting events on a
webdav calendar.  I initially tried thunderbird 3.0.4 (which I think didn't
actually have the calendar integrated--not really significant), and had
trouble getting TB to display the contents of my email folders on an IMAP
server.  Most folders showed up empty.  I have about 180 folders with about
14,000 messages total--the correct folders were shown, just nothing shown in
them.

After a bit of googling, I found a reference to a bug resembling my problem
that supposedly was fixed in 3.1.2.  I tried that version without change to
the problem, and today 3.1.2-r1 with the same result.

My IMAP server is net-mail/courier-imap 4.5.0 on the same host as my
workstation.  I have no trouble reading folders and their contents with
kontact 4.4.5/kmail 1.13.5

I've tried more googling and searching at the mozilla.org site for clues.
Anyone have any experience with this problem--and perhaps a solution?

TIA,
--
Jim