Alex Schuster wrote:
Dale writes:

I do only have KDE on here.  The bad thing is, I use kdm for my login
manager.  Even that was broken.  I had no GUI and no way to login to
KDE or anything else.
Log into a text console, and start KDE with 'XSESSION=KDE-4 startx'.
Replace KDE-4 with anything from /etc/X11/Sessions/ for other window
managers.

Looking forward to seeing how your upgrade works out.
Not so well, rdiff-backup of /usr crashed, not sure why. I'll try again,
or create a new backup from scratch.

        Wonko

That may have helped if kdm was the only thing broken. I got part way through the upgrade then had packages that wouldn't build. Portage gave up on skipping packages and just stopped building. I couldn't get past that problem so I had to go back to the older KDE. So, kdm was broke but so was KDE itself. I needed something like Fluxbox that could run all by itself with nothing related to KDE.

Glad you got backups.  ;-)

Dale

:-)  :-)