On 9/3/2010 10:53 PM, Jarry wrote:
On 31. 8. 2010 20:30, Mick wrote:

I stop apach& mysql, run the update, dispatch-conf and then restart them
both. Haven't had problems since.

I tried it that way:

/etc/init.d/apache2 stop
/etc/init.d/mysql stop
emerge --ask --update --deep --newuse world
emerge --depclean
revdep-rebuild
/etc/init.d/mysql start
/etc/init.d/apache2 start

Still the same: databases are gone, mysql is empty. Only users
are there. This is strange: how can updating mysql from one stable
version to higher stable cause complete loss of databases???

Jarry

IIRC the default my.cnf changed for the worse in Gentoo's 5.1.x ebuild. Try making a copy of your original my.cnf and put it into place once you've upgraded. Else you may need to modify the mysql home and data paths in the new my.cnf to reflect where the database are actually installed.

kashani