On 09/09/10 11:35, Adam Carter wrote:
>  Looking further, I found that when I try to log into the laptop
>
>> as anonymous, I get a 530-Unable to set anonymous privileges error, and
>> in /var/log/messages, I see: ftp: Directory /usr/portage/ is not
>> accessible.
>>

> Have you tried su'ing to the ftp user to make sure you can still get to
> /usr/portage via a shell?
>
> Tried running strace against the ftpd?
>
> BTW - http replicator works well for distfiles. It might just be easier to
> use that.
>
> http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:BpP7JqMShS0J:www.gentoo-wiki.info/HOWTO_Download_Cache_for_LAN-Http-Replicator+http+replicator+gentoo&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au

1) I thought of that, but what password does Portage give it (if any)?
If I change it, will it affect the use of my system at all?
2) Never used strace.  I was under the impression that it was a
debugger, and I don't know enough about programming to be able to
understand that.  But looking into it now, it appears it may be used
more simply to give a better idea of what's going on.  I'll give it a try.
3) I'll have a look at http replicator, thanks.

Jake Moe