> What happens if portage builds a 'static' package that links against a
> library
> that was installed without the 'static-libs' useflag being set?

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Program-Library-HOWTO/introduction.html writes:

"DL libraries aren't really a different kind of library format (both
static and shared libraries can be used as DL libraries);"

If I understand this at all, the term "static library" is a litle misleading.

 * Libraries would be shared (in memory) and unshared.
 * Executables would link static or dynamic (against both types).

The term "static library" would refer to unshared libraries, because
are typically linked statically (but must not).

Please correct me if I am wrong. I am new in the field.

Al