Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
On 09/23/2010 04:18 AM, Dale wrote:
Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
On 09/22/2010 09:48 PM, Andrey Vul wrote:
When I launch X programs via sudo, I get the following:

$sudo gui-admin
No protocol specified
gui-admin: cannot connect to X server :0

( Assume gui-admin is an X program )

But (gk|kde)su(do)? works. This is somewhat confusing.

sudo doesn't keep the $DISPLAY environment variable by default. There
could be other issues too. Best stick to kdesu and friends; that's
what they are there for.

Well, I noticed after the recent upgrade to 4.5.1 that mine doesn't work
either. It worked before but not now. I'm not sure what changed between
4.4 and 4.5.1 but it broke my konqueror as root and other programs as
well. Still have some I haven't tried tho. Konqueror is the one I need
most. Oh, I can get Dolphin to work tho. The conspiracy theory part in
me is starting to think.

Sure would like to get this working again too.

Again, use kdesu, not sudo.

But if some reason you want sudo, /etc/sudoers has some info:

  ## Run X applications through sudo

Read the comments there and uncomment what suits you. Did I mention that you should use kdesu instead of sudo? :-P

Well, I don't really know what it is using. I just set up the menu item to run the program as root. I don't know if it uses su -, kdesu, sudo or what. I just know it worked until the upgrade a few days ago.

Since KDE proclaimed this was supposed to be ready for widespread use and cut off KDE3, I sure do wish they would make up their mind HOW things are going to work. I would think they need to know that before claiming something was ready for widespread use. Makes me want to go back to KDE 3.5. At least I could get everything I need to work and survive a upgrade too. ;-)

Oh well.  This is the new normal for KDE I guess.  lol

Dale

:-)  :-)