No I am saying create a unique /etc/conf./net, hosts file, bind files,
firewall files (shorewall in my
case), /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf and anything else that
has a unique setup per site and put them together in another directory.

I have tried putting everything in the net file in the past but its just
too complex once you get beyond a few sites, and many things wont fit
anyway.  Ive learnt that its best to simplify - let each part of the
process do one thing only.  You have less failures when you go into a
lecture/demo/site when all eyes are on you :) - and easier to fix
quickly, especially when the local IT services decides to change the
topology/settings without telling you!

Its a lot more complex in my case because of the number and complexity
of sites - VPN's at some, local routing, non-local routing,
private/public addressing, and in one case a site required cisco VPN
over wifi with an OpenVPN running through it to my office connecting
across a private addressed WAN to a asterisk VoIP.

You can do almost anything ...

BillK