Alexander Skwar wrote:

Is it possible to encrypt the complete block device with loop-AES?
Or does it only encrypt a file that's afterwards loop mounted?

Yes. Everything that can be encrypted with dm-crypt can also be encrypted with loop-AES.

For example, my laptop has two hard drives. I have a raid0 array with hda2 and hdd2. Loop-AES encrypts /dev/md0, giving me /dev/loop/0. That in turn is a physical volume for LVM2, which gives me the logical devices for all of my filesystems (except /boot, obviously) and swap.

Oh. You took my example way too literally.

Yep. :-)

Cheers,

-Richard