2010/10/6 Olaf Krause <gentoo...@okit.de>:
> Hello,
>
> first: where should I ask the following question?
>
> We successfully operate some HP Proliant DL380 G3, using Gentoo Xen-kernels
> as Dom0 and DomU.
> Now i tried to upgrade to Generation 4 and 6:
> * HP Proliant DL380 G4
> * HP Proliant DL380 G6
>
> Grub works fine. After selecting a kernel to boot, it is loaded and starts
> operating and fails some lines later with a kernel panic. The kernel seems
> not to find the HP SCSI controller (/dev/cciss/...).
>
> I made sure, that the kernel has build in the needed drivers as described
> here:
>  http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/HP_ProLiant_DL380_G5
>
> Funny is, that the Gentoo boot images do work, for example
> install-x86-minimal-20100216.iso.
>
> I use the iso images to boot the system initially, initialize the SCSI disks
> with fdsik and mkfs... and then mount the SCSI drives (/dev/cciss/...), copy
> a working tarball-image, populate the filsystem and then use the grub shell
> make it bootable.
>
> Attached is a screen shot with the error message.

Is this screenshot from a domU or dom0 ? If it's from a domU then I
think that in Xen you have a different driver than cciss for the
disks.

If it's from a dom0, are you sure that you have the cciss driver
built-in instead of a module ? From the screenshot it seems that it's
not present at the point the kernel is booting.

--
Maciej Grela