Apparently, though unproven, at 23:24 on Monday 11 October 2010, Daniel
Pielmeier did opine thusly:

> Alan McKinnon schrieb am 11.10.2010 22:39:
> > Uh-oh.
> >
> > genlop started failing today with the mysterious error "Illegal
> > instruction", and it's consistent - every time. That's all the message,
> > nothing else:
> >
> > $ genlop -t portage
> > Illegal instruction
> >
> > Now emerge dbus-glib fails similarly:
> >
> > /bin/sh: line 21:  1084 Illegal instruction     /usr/bin/gtkdoc-rebase --
> > relative --dest-dir=/var/tmp/portage/dev-libs/dbus-glib-0.88/image/
> > --html- dir=${installdir}
> >

> > I don't really know where to start looking.....
> > I just know Google is going to give me millions of useless hits with that
> > search, but I'll hope over to b.g.o. meanwhile and poke around unless
> > someone else has a better idea.
>
> Google has something to say about this.
>
> Recently changed CFLAGS.
> Wrong CFLAGS.
> Compiler has problems with march native.
> Glibc corruption.

It's none of those apparently. I checked CFLAGS set by the ebuild in the
emerge log before posting and they looked fine. gcc was last updated a month
ago and the machine gets updated almost daily.

glibc seems possible but it's a moot point, especially as after investigating
memory at Mark's suggestion, genlop runs fine now, world updates successfully
and 2 ./configure errors about aclocal (that I didn't even mention before)
have gone away.

I should probably start treating this poor machine more like a notebook and
less like a high performance machine - running flat out almost 24/7 is
probably outside of it's design spec :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com