Apparently, though unproven, at 03:13 on Friday 15 October 2010, Daniel da
Veiga did opine thusly:

> Funny story. I had one drive that failed once (clicking) and I read
> somewhere to "cool" it. So I put the damn thing on the refrigerator,
> took it out after a while (it was so cold!), plugged in, and what the
> heck, it started working again and I was able to backup all of the
> data. After that it worked for a long time before failing again, lol.
> Now I always "cool" a clicking drive before replacing it. True story.

Another completely off-topic funny story:

I used to fix TVs a long time ago. Putting the TV in a freezer to find heat-
sensitive faults was reasonably common. Customers would think I was nuts
hauling a set out the freezer and sticking it on the bench....

Then they started making those gigantic sets that don't fit into freezers;
cold rooms maybe but not freezers. Yet another diagnostic technique that went
the way of the dinosaur...

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com