Am 15.10.2010 21:23, schrieb Mike Diehl:
> On Friday 15 October 2010 11:40:34 am Florian Philipp wrote:
>> Am 15.10.2010 19:29, schrieb Mike Diehl:
>>> Hi all.
>>>
>>> I've never had this much trouble with a server before, but I've been
>>> pulling my hair out.
>>>
>>> The install seemed to go well, but when I rebooted it from it's own hard
>>> drive, it fails.  fsck claims that it can't open /dev/sda3 or that the
>>> superblock doesn't describe a valid ext2 filesystem.
>
>> *All* of the drivers could be too much. There is a generic driver which
>> can prevent the "right" driver from taking over. In that case you end up
>> with a /dev/hda node and no DMA. Try to deactivate "Generic ATA support"
>> = CONFIG_ATA_GENERIC and "generic/default IDE chipset support" =
>> CONFIG_IDE_GENERIC.
>> I think it is the second option that causes that problem. However, you
>> won't need the first option, either.
>
> I tried this, first without success.  I then ran through all combinations of
> sda3, sdb3, hda3, hdb3 in /etc/fstab.  This didn't work.
>
>> Instead of your brute-force "yes to all" approach, newer kernels also
>> support `make localyesconfig` which takes all modules currently used in
>> the running kernel and compiles them into the new kernel. It is very
>> helpful when you already have a good but generic kernel like the one on
>> your live CD.
>
> I tried this, next.  At least now, I believe I have a viable kernel.  But it
> still didn't work.
>
>> If even that doesn't help, it might be possible that the device
>> numbering has changed and your hard disk is detected as /dev/sdb or so.
>> Try mounting it by UUID (google for it, please).
>
> I tried this.  Only now, fsck.ext2 tells me that it can't resolve the UUID.
>
> Here is the new fstab:
> /dev/sda1       /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime  1 2
>

> UUID=ba7511dd-a5f9-48d8-8102-cf71c08a0c7b     /       ext2    noatime    0 1
>

> /dev/sda2       none            swap            sw              0 0
>
> /dev/cdrom              /mnt/cdrom      auto            noauto,ro       0 0
>
> At this point, I'm going to move the drive to a different port on the SATA
> chain; shouldn't change anything, but I'm running out of ideas.  I'll also
> check the BIOS for anything stupid-obvious.
>
> So, I guess I'm still stuck!

Hmm, sounds like a serious problem. I suggest you try to get into an
early stage during boot and try to move forward from there. Try to add
'1' to the parameters in order to get into single-user mode. You can
also try 'init=/bin/bash'.

There are lots of other options you can try. For a long time, 'noapic'
(not 'noapci') was my first candidate for odd boot issues. Take a look
at /usr/sr/linux/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt for more options.

Also, which kernel sources are you using and which live CD (with which
kernel version)?  Is there a specific reason why you use ext2 for root?
What kind of system do you run, anyway? And, just by chance, you are not
using an extremely large (>1TB) drive which might happen to have 4kB
blocks instead of 512 B?

Regards,
Florian Philipp