Apparently, though unproven, at 14:01 on Tuesday 26 October 2010, Iain
Buchanan did opine thusly:

> On Tue, 2010-10-26 at 11:18 +0200, Marc Joliet wrote:
> > Am Tue, 26 Oct 2010 11:34:58 +0930
> > schrieb Iain Buchanan <iai...@netspace.net.au>:
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > > Someone posted recently about an upgrade that affected him (looking...
> > > can't find it).  He downgraded to fix it, but it wasn't nvidia or x
> > > from memory.  Sorry for being vague, I'll keep looking.
> >
> > Ah, I seem to remember the problem was/is mesa 7.8.2 being slow, in which
> > case a downgrade helped. Was that it? I can't find the thread myself
> > right now, though.
>
> That's it!  mesa tinka yousa system broken! 7.8.2 down to 7.7.1 worked
> for the OP:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/234610
>
> "Preventing a package from being updated"

Can someone who hit this and cured it describe the symptoms seen? I might have
the same issue but it's a lot of rebuilding. I might just be suffering from
the recent 2.6.33 - 2.6.35 IO issues.

Throw stuff at wall doesn't strike me as an effective troubleshooting method
:-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com