ACCEPT_KEYWORDS='~x86' emerge samba -s

Look at man emerge and the portage docs for what the above does, and how
to make it permanent.

Critical apps seem to take a bit longer to get to stable, but the above
will often get you a more updated version, albeit at a higher risk of
problems.

Check out portage overlay in the docs to see how to make your own
ebuilds for specific versions - you can often copy and adjust an
existing ebuild, pop it into the overlay and have the latest and
buggiest at your beck and call.  Note that this can also be used to keep
ancient versions around as well with a little more work.

Time: as a gentoo user you will find that a working definition of time
seems to change subtly ... over time ...

Lastly, dont forget to emerge sync regularly, and then run glsa-check
against your system to check for security updates.

BillK

--
William Kenworthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Home!