On 4 November 2010 09:24, YoYo Siska <y...@gl.ksp.sk> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 08:43:25AM +0100, Florian Philipp wrote:
>> Am 04.11.2010 08:38, schrieb Mick:
>> >
>> > PS.  Another thing I noticed with the WinXP setup is that the
>> > application windows seem to be screen aware.  On the left monitor they
>> > will maximise only to cover fully the left hand screen not the right
>> > hand. The same happens when maximising an application window on the
>> > right.  I don't remember seeing this in Linux - applications I think
>> > maximised across both screens.
>>
>> Again, I don't know what desktop environment you are using but that
>> works flawlessly on KDE.
>>

> Just to make it a bit more clear:
> xrandr is used to setup the resolution and position of the monitors
> (you can make them clone each other, overlap, be alongside / above /
> below the other...)
>
> How the windows / panels behave depends on your windows manager/desktop
> environment (or on the panels themselves). X server provides them with
> enough information about the layout of the monitors, and they have to
> use it. So it depends on which DE or window manager you use...
>
> In kde3,  there was a configuration option for kwin, whether windows
> should be maximized across all screens  or on single screen...
> I can't find it in kde4 settings right now, but I have only single head
> card here and I guess it would be under "Multiple Monitors" option in
> settings, which just says "You don't appear to have this configuration"
> for me ;)
>
> Plasma in kde4 manages things per monitor, so panels should be only
> on one monitor (and you can't get them across multiple monitors, you
> have to have a separate panel on each)...
>
> Recent versions of fluxbox allow you to have the toolbar on a certain
> monitor (head) or across all heads... Don't know how it is when maximizing
> windows (some time ago I used to patch it to make it an option, didn't
> play with it lately...)
>
> I can't say anything for gnome or other DEs/WMs...

Thank you all for your responses!

The box in question is running KDE.

The first thing I tried was to go into Systemsettings and play with
Display settings in there.  Nothing I tried would take.  Only xranrd
on the CLI brought some results.  Even so, rebooting means that I have
to rerun the stanza to make the new large monitor on the DVI port
auto-adjust.  It seems that the card sees the VGA as the primary
monitor and the DVI as the secondary monitor, when I really want them
the other way around.

Any way, I'll have another go at the Display settings in the KDE
Systemsettings and see if I am missing something in there.
--
Regards,
Mick