I've always used the genkernel, but now am trying to make a manual one.
 I think the kernel is alright since all the default setting seemed
reasonable and the build was easy enough.  However, when I boot to it I
get a kernel panic and it complains about the root device /dev/hda3. So
I think the problem has to do with my parameters or syntax in grub.conf.
 Below are three grub menu options.  The first two have the problem and
the third is the genkernel that works fine.  Is there something wrong
with the way the first two are?  Thanks.

# This is a Manually built kernel with default settings.  kernel panic
title Gentoo Linux x86 2.6.34-r12
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r12 root=/dev/hda3

# This is a Manually built kernel with default settings.  kernel panic
title Gentoo Linux x86 2.6.34-r12
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-2.6.34-gentoo-r12 root=/dev/hda3 vga=791
splash=verbose video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap udev
# From Documentation: video=uvesafb:mtrr:3,ywrap,1024x768...@85

# This a genkernel and works
title Gentoo Linux x86 2.6.34-r6
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.34-gentoo-r6 init=/linuxrc
ramdisk=8192 real_root=/dev/hda3 vga=791 splash=verbose
video=vesafb:mtrr,ywrap udev
initrd /boot/initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.34-gentoo-r6

--dhk