On 11/04/2010 03:51 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 13:36:25 -0400, dhk wrote:
>
>> The ext2 wasn't compiled in, so I compiled it in and rebooted.  I got
>> the same error.
>>
>> "kernel panic - not syncing : VFS: unable to mount root FS on
>> unknown-block (2,0)"
>
> It's saying unknown block, not unknown fs. I suspect you haven't compiled
> in the drivers for your hard disk controller.

All my hard disks are sata except the main one with the os on it that is
ide.  Is a fairly new disk, may be a year old, but should the following
driver be compiled in?
[ ]   Very old hard disk (MFM/RLL/IDE) driver

I went back to ide a few years ago because I had problems with sata.
First, the system would never boot with more than one sata drive
connected.  There's something call Staggered Spin-up Detection which
load balances the power going to the disks.  The bios would error saying
that there weren't any hard disks, when really they weren't powered up
by time the bios finished checking them.  Second, I broke a couple of
motherboard sata connectors.  Apparently the wire connection to the
connector is tighter than the connector's connection to the motherboard,
they pulled right off the board.