On Tuesday 16 November 2010 10:33:34 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an up-to-date ~amd64 GenToo installation with has been
> built on a current AMD64 (Phenom II) machine where I used
> -mtune=native in etc/make.conf since I didn't think of the case
> that I would need to port this system to a somewhat older Opteron
> based machine (still AMD64)
>
> But after cloning the system, some fundamental utilities die of
> an illegal instruction. So I have to rebuild GenToo nearly
> from scratch. emerge -e world doesn't work.
>
> So, what is a reasonably fast method?
>
> I'd like to keep
> /etc
> /usr/portage   except /usr/portage/packages
> /var/lib/portage
>
> Is there a fast method e.g. by using the Gentoo based
> SystemRescueCD to reinstall a very basic system, such that
> I can do  emerge -e world.
> It looks as if the gcc tool-chain is intact since I could
> compile a kernel without any problem.
> But some utilities, e.g. find, die of an illegal instruction.
>
> Many thanks for any hints saving me a couple of hours work,
>
> Helmut.

Ok, the following is NOT tested, but might work:
1) boot with a systemrescuecd
2) backup the sytem (I did not test this)
3) create a chroot-space for a new install (don't worry, not doing full
install)
4) unpack a stage3
5) chroot into this
6) build packages from this stage3
7) chroot into the install to be fixed
8) emerge these packages onto your current system (this should contain all you
need for "system")
9) emerge -e world

If there is anyone who has actually been in this situation, please feel free
to comment on this.
Also, I'm not certain what will happen to /etc, but the etc-update script can
be told to keep existing configurations.

--
Joost